Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hunting for Treasure - Salvage Yards Can Mean Treasure and Trash

Salvage Yards Can Net One of a Kind Treasures

In Downtown Los Angeles there are a few salvage yards to poke through in search of hidden treasure.  When I pulled up outside this place, I was glad I had my husband along instead of my business partner.  While no harm came to us, and we picked up a few interesting items, it was a good reminder to be aware and travel cautiously into unknown territory.

The main lot for this salvage yard is across the street.  I picked up an old paned window with milky glass that now hangs in my guest bathroom and some old and rusty ceiling tin that my husband made into shelves and I sold.  See the tin on the top and that's a bed frame rail on the bottom.  The headboards are below
Shelves made of bed rails and ceiling tin
Silver Fox Architectural Salvage is my favorite salvage store in Los Angeles.  The owners have a clear vision for what is valuable and beautiful.  Seth takes reclaimed lumber, metal, whatever and creates lighting fixtures, tables, kitchen carts and more.  Selina has creative skills too which are evident in the way the store is set up.  Yelpers really like them too.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/silver-fox-architectural-salvage-los-angeles-2

Check out this cart that Seth made.  I wish I had a place in my house for it.
I bought some huge doors at Silver Fox that came from an old church in upstate New York.  I framed the opening between my dining room and living room in the shape of the doors and will eventually get them hung on hardware like sliding barn doors.  This is the project that started out with two affordable doors and then cost a fortune to have the room framed.  When I get the project finished, I'll share the pictures, but until then I just appreciate the beauty of the doors as they lean against the wall.
8 1/2' reclaimed church doors for my dining room
Lots of windows and doors at Silver Fox Architectural Salvage in Los Angeles

I found these flags for my sister's nautical themed baby's room
I look everywhere for interesting pieces.  I picked up some antique bed frames at an auction and used them for all sorts of projects.  Here is the headboard.
I had the mirror cut and installed at Van Nuys Glass and Mirror in Pacoima.  They did an awesome job.  I think it would be perfect in an entry way or a good sized guest bathroom.  It is a one of a kind piece that gets people talking.

I have a second one that is painted and glazed.

I would like to get these sold and moved out so I have room for more projects.  If you live in Southern California and need something special for your home, send me an email at pearlscottage@sbcglobal.net.  I'm asking $399 for the wood finished mirror and $499 for the painted and glazed one.



No comments:

Post a Comment