Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Day in Los Angeles - Six Great Things To Do

Sweets at Pie Hole


I am fortunate to live in Southern California where the weather is beautiful year-round and there is always something fun to do.

Last weekend I spent the day with my dear friend and business partner, Michelle. She makes a great travel companion because she is adventuresome, plus no matter how often I get lost, she never gets mad.
Look at the menu on paper rolls

We have spent many Saturdays together scouring estate sales and working on projects. Last Saturday we ventured into Los Angeles with a list of things to do and see.  Our first stop was Pie Hole, a coffee and bakery in the Art's District; a recently gentrified area with older industrial and railroad buildings turned commercial space and loft living.  Pie Hole serves delicious and smooth coffee and tea and sells baked goods that are made on the premises.  We ordered lattes and asked the helpful server to pick a sweet item for us.  He picked the maple custard pie which he pronounced nirvana with no meditation necessary.
Luscious maple custard pie

Let me tell you, that pie transported me to a state of perfect happiness. Sweet but not too sweet, perfect silky smooth filling, set in a sturdy crust.  Savory options are available like the quiche, pot pie and onion roll.  We stopped in around 11:00 a.m. so we arrived after the breakfast crowd and before the lunch crowd.  Beware: It can get pretty crowded at meal times.  After eating delicious pie and drinking a smooth chai latte I declared my day a success.

Next we stopped into Silver Fox Architectural Salvage which is on Cesar Chavez Boulevard off the 10 freeway.  Owners Seth and Selina were there and showed us some of the new items that had been delivered from their New York location.  I'll be back for rough cut barn wood when I'm ready to make shelves in my bedroom.  I coveted some big glass jugs that originally came from Germany or Hungary - I can remember exactly.  Later, at home I was flipping through Country Living magazine, and there were the same jugs.  Should have bought them, but where would I put them?

The Gift Show was going on at the Convention Center so we popped in to pick up some great jewelry supplies. Stay tuned for pictures and prices on those items.  Suffice it to say, I have a bit of work ahead of me.

Needing a source of energy and something to quench our thirst, we headed to Grand Central Market on Broadway.  The Market has been a landmark in Los Angeles since it opened in 1917.  Note:  park in the Grand Central Market structure and get your ticket stamped and validated for the first hour.
Horse Thief BBQ at Grand Central Market

Michelle had not been there, so I wanted to show her the variety of food stands in the market including a few new vendors.  We considered Valerie's for a salad s and sandwiches and Sticky Rice for Thai cuisine, however we decided to eat at Horse Thief BBQ and enjoyed our lunch at the adjoining outdoor tables.  The Los Angeles Times had mentioned the restaurant in the morning paper so by 3:00 p.m. they were out of everything except a little brisket and some baked beans.  No big deal cuz we wanted brisket sandwiches.  Outside of Texas it was the best smoked meat I've eaten.  Delicious smokey meat with a bit of crunch on the exterior. Mmmm, I could go for a sandwich right now.
Smokey brisket sandwich from Horse Thief

Pleased with our meal and fueled for another few hours, we walked a few blocks to The Last Bookstore located on 435 Spring Street.  The store is an impressive two stories filled with both new and used books.  The existing architecture, coupled with art made from books, gave the space a comfortable feeling.  We enjoyed our time wandering around and picked out a few titles.  I would like to bring my book club members here and eat brunch across the street at KTCHN DTLA that sets up at The Gorbals on the weekends.
The Last Bookstore

Our last stop of the day was K&L wine store in Hollywood on Vine Street.  The selection was plentiful, the staff knowledgeable and price range wide with selections from $9.99 to 259.99.  I picked up a few affordable bottles of Chalone Chardonnay that has great complexity for $12.99 a bottle.  Michelle found an Italian red that she reported was "just right" for her husband, Mark.

Nearly eight hours later I dropped her off at home.  We were both tired yet happy that our day went so well.  Good shopping, good food and good friends.  What more could we ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment